Wednesday, January 8, 2020

How Should the Bed Look?

Since I haven't been able to physically go work on the Pickup recently I've done some research on what would go into building a bed since the current one isn't the most stable. The main thing I need for a bed is it to have more structural integrity than wood. Steel is what I plan on using for the framing because its both super strong and cheap. I priced out the steel and for a 5 1/2 foot bed should be around $150 more or less, wayyyy more affordable than buying an original bed.

I've been searching on Google Images and forums to find ideas for how other people have designed theirs. I found a lot of helpful pictures, some of the truck even look exactly like mine.


 These four pictures are my biggest references and luckily the last one is one of my friends, and that means I can go look at it anytime and take measurements to help me out. I plan on doing a mix between his bed with the square steel framing and wooden planks on the floor then adding one of the back racks from the second or first photos.
The hardest part of creating this new bed should be the welding and measurements, but I have a few friends who like to keep busy and will gladly help me out. I plan on taking the bed off in the spring when I do some rust repair on the actual cab of the truck. I figure while I have it off, it'll be a perfect time to refurbish a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What a Relief!

This weekend was the big day... taking off the wooden bed. Taking off the bed exposes most the frame and most of the components in the rear ...