Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Bigger isn’t Always Better

Today my main focus was installing the new polyurethane bushings since I didn't get to it yesterday. I read the instructions supplied in the box and it said to make sure the bushings were lubed up with the super pre-lubricant that was supplied.
New bushing vs the old one
Before I insert the bushing it gets coated in grease



















Inserting the shackle bushings was super simple, they slid in half way with just the force of my hands and then I pounded them in the rest of the way with a socket and a rubber mallet. Where I ran into a problem was with the other side of the spring. The bushings for this side, the hanger side, are larger than the shackle ones, they're so large that they're a little bigger than the hole but they should fit if I use a hydraulic press (my Uncle has one that I can use) but if that doesn't work I'll just use the smaller ones and they should work just as good.
Installing the shackle bushings
How they look installed, two in each, two on each side
After I was done for the day I did some more research on these bushings and was impressed with how they work. Stock rubber bushings tend to be more flexible and don't last as long; these are made of polyurethane so they're more rigid to reduce body roll and last more than twice as long as rubber competitors. The quality seems very nice and hopefully I can get that other one installed soon to get these ready to be installed. Tomorrow I might do some more research on fixing the temp gauge or something to help the engine run better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What a Relief!

This weekend was the big day... taking off the wooden bed. Taking off the bed exposes most the frame and most of the components in the rear ...