Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Old to New

My goal for today was to remove the steering arm off of the parts truck. On my 88 truck this piece seems to be bent so the tie rod is rubbing on the frame and messing with the steering. New this component is around $90, luckily this one is in great shape and should fit the other truck.
The steering arm I removed today
it was only held in with about five nuts, one on each tie rod (2), two on the steering pivots, and one on the stabilizer. Once I cut the coder pins out I used a breaker bar to loosen them up, after that i zipped them out real fast with an impact gun. After that I had to get a tie rod puller and hammer it in between the rods and the steering arm; they simply popped right out.
After we took most the parts off the truck we tipped it over to get
under it.
I managed not to bend the arm either so I'll most likely sand it down a bit and give it a fresh coat of paint and get it ready to put on the truck when we go through the front end. Everything coming together but I got to figure out what I want to do tomorrow, maybe more interior work or engine diagnosis.
The steering arm fresh off the parts truck

1 comment:

  1. That's really cool and looks like it wasn't to hard to take off. Was there any rust that can't be repaired on that bar?

    ReplyDelete

What a Relief!

This weekend was the big day... taking off the wooden bed. Taking off the bed exposes most the frame and most of the components in the rear ...